Páginas

CLASSROOM ACTIVITIES.FILE 1.LESSON 2

Depending on an individual’s perspective, some sports  can be classified as weird.
Check out these extremely strange sports from around the world.
Here you can read the names of some unusual sports you have probably never heard of before. Find out information about their country of origin and what the sport is about. Use wikipedia to find out these facts

WIFE CARRYING: Origin:  What is it about?












 CHEESE ROLLING: Origin:  What is it about?










CRASHED ICE: Origin:  What is it about?







ZORBING: Origin:  What is it about? 










MAN VERSUS HORSE: Origin:  What is it about?  










BOG SNORKELLING: Origin:  What is it about? 














TOE WRESTLING: Origin:  What is it about?










 FISTBALL: Origin:  What is it about?








OCTOPUSH: Origin:  What is it about?













IDIOMS RELATED TO SPORTS

To throw in the towel: Stop doing something because you know that you cannot succeed;admit defeat. 
Spanish: Tirar, arrojar la toalla.
Example: The Chancellor of the Exchequer could not cope with the critical situation in the country and in the end  he threw in the towel and resigned: El Ministro de Economía no pudo hacer frente a la situación crítica del país y finalmente arrojó la toalla y dimitió.






To take time out: To spend time away from studying or working. To stop an activity temporarily.
SpanishHacer un paréntesis, darse un respiro (de una actividad)
Example: I think I'm a bit burnt-out and need to take time out and do something different in my professional career: Creo que estoy un poco quemado y necesito darme un respiro y hacer algo diferente en mi vida prfesional.





To start/keep the ball rolling: To begin,continue an activity, discussion....
Spanish: Empezar, continuar con una actividad.
Example: She started the project and I kept the ball rolling. Who will keep the ball rolling now that I'm leaving the company?: Ella empezó el proyecto y yo lo continué.¿Quién lo continuará ahora que me voy de la empresa?





The ball is in your court: It's your turn to do something.
Spanish: La pelota está en tu tejado.
Example: Here is the list of changes I think they are necessary. Now the ball is in their court: Aquí está la lista de cambios que creo que son necesarios. Ahora la pelota está en su tejado.




To learn the ropes: To learn how to do a job, a task..
Spanish: aprender el oficio, ponerse al tanto de cómo hacer las cosas.
Example: It took me two weeks to learn the ropes but after that I found the job easy to do: Tardé dos semanas en ponerme al tanto pero después encontré el trabajo fácil de hacer.





A race against time: A situation in which you have to do something or finish something very fast before it is too late.
Spanish: una carrera contrarreloj
Example: It was a race against time to reach the station before the train left: Fue una carrera contrarreloj llegar a la estación antes de que saliera el tren.




To settle a score: Hurt or punish somebody who has harmed or cheated you in the past; to get revenge.
Spanish: tener una deuda pendiente; ajustar cuentas con alguien.
Example: I've got to settle a score with him after the terrible things he said about my brother: tengo que ajustarle las cuentas después de las cosas horribles que dijo de mi hermano.




To take the bull by the horns: Deal with dangerous or difficult situation in a direct and brave way.
Spanish:coger el toro por los cuernos.
Example: His behaviour was so rude that I decided to take the bull by the horns   and asked him to go away: Su comportamiento fue tan grosero que decidí coger el toro por los cuernos y pedirle que se marchara.








TRIVIA ABOUT SPORTS

1- Do race horses wear horse shoes? Yes, they do.
2- How many ropes are there in a professional boxing ring? 16 ropes (every side has four ropes)

    
3- How much does a bowling ball weigh, approximately? 7 1/4 kilos.
4- Which football club is the oldest in Spain? Recreativo de Huelva
5- In which board game can you find rooks, knights and bishops? Chess
6- In which sport did John McEnroe become a star? Tennis
7- Where can you find a "caddy"? Golf . A caddy is the person who carries a player's bag and clubs.



 
8- Is Lacrosse played with a ball? Yes, it is.



Equipment for lacrosse
9- In 1993 Michael Jordan gave up basketball to try another sport. Which one? Baseball

Michael Jordan playing baseball
 
10- What's the colour of the leader's jersey in the Tour of France? Yellow



Winner of The Tour wearing the yellow jersey

11-How many gold medals did Michael Phelps win at 2008 Olympic Games? Eight
12-Where will the next Olympic Games be held? In London
13- What's the name of the sport that combines water-skiing, snowboarding and surfing techniques? Wakeboard

Practising wakeboard
14- How long is a marathon? 42.195
15- How many players are there in a rugby team? 15




CHILDHOOD MEMORIES


1º A
  
  • When I was a child my parents and my two brothers went to the river and hunted some tadpoles. Then my brother and me saw how they grew up. (Paula)

A tadpole



  • When I was a child my father taught me to ride a bicycle. (Coral)
  • When I was a child my father found a kitten and brought it home. (Almudena)
A kitten

  • When I was a child I hated football and enjoyed playing basket and hide-and-seek. (Pedro)
  • When I was a child me and my sister went to my mum's bed and woke her up. Then we fell asleep together. (Laura Guerrero)
  • When I was a child , on my birthday we went to the zoo and at Christmas we decorated the Christmas tree with my family. (Vir)
  • In my childhood, my mother took me to see the Three Kings Parade. (Jorge)
  • In my childhood, me and my brother went to the cinema, then my father waited for us outside  and took us to eat some napolitanas.(Gerardo)
  • My best moment in my childhood was when I held my new born baby in my arms. (Patricia)


  • A happy moment in my childhood was when my cousin was born. I was so happy because I was the only girl in my family. (Virginia Amaro)
  • I remember when my sister came to my room every night and told me bedtime stories. (Soraya)
  • When I was a child I remember when my mother woke me up with a kiss. (Jesica)
  • When I was a child I spent a sunny day with my father and brothers near the river. We went for a walk and left our things  in the place. When we arrived, a cow was on our things! (Natalia)
  • I remember Christmas when my family bought nice presents for me. (Esperanza)
  • When I was a child my grandfather took me to the park and when I got tired he took me back home and there was my granny waiting for us with a yummy meal to eat. (Ester)
  • At Christmas my parents  and I always went to see Cortilandia and every Sunday we had paella for our Sunday lunch. (Raquel)
  • When I was a child I went with my parents and my brother to the Pyrenees. We slept in a camping site and went for a walk in the mountains every day. (Lara)
  • I remember when my brothers and me played with our big dog whose name was Tigra. (Mariam)
  • When I was a child I very much liked playing with my friends in the park. My mother came with some chocolate sandwiches for all. (Andrea)
  • When I was a child I remember I went to the river Alberche and we spent the whole Sunday there. My father made delicious paellas and me and my sister swam and sunbathed. It was good fun. (Rocío) 
  • When I was a child I spent my weekends in the mountains with the Scouts. I hated waking up so early but within days everything was different and good fun. (Candela)
  • I remember my little town in Murcia: the river, the trees, the flowers of the road to the river. there I was with my family and friends. Some of them , unfortunately, are not with us. (Macu)
  • When I was a child I watched "Beast and Beauty" every day. (Alba)
  •  

  • When I was a child I got lost and my father found me at my siter's school. (Laura Palao)
  • When I was a child I had  a lot of pets. I had dogs, cats, a bunny, a parrot, some birds.. (Estefanía)
A bunny rabbit
  • When I was four I had a chicken. Its name was Tico. I loved my chicken but it died food poisoned. (Leidy)

Tico, Leidy's pet




  • I remember when I was seven and my sister was born. (Anais)
1º B

  • When I was a child I danced on table with my cousin Cristina and I also enjoyed cooking with my granny. (María)
  • When I was a child I drew pictures on my wardrobe and my parents got angry with me.
  • When I was a child me and my sister played with our dolls, I played stories with my mum and my father and I jumped the rocks when we went to the mountain. (Paula)
  • When I was a child my grandfather took some sweets out of my ear ( a magic trick!). He sang a song while doing this. I felt very happy at these moments and gave him a lot of kisses. (Noelia)
  • When I was a child I liked going to my grandparents' village. There I rode the bike with my friends in the afternoon. (Gladys)




  • When I was a child I loved going out in the night and watching the stars and the sky. (Yolanda)
  • When I was a child I played table games with my parents and my brother on the bed. Sundays were also great when we went to El Retiro. (Bárbara)
table or board games

  •  When I was five or six my father taught me to ride a bike. My grandmother made chocolate and I had it with churros. (Inés)
  • In my childhood I read a lot fairy tales and I also enjoyed feeding the pigeons. (Cristina)
feeding the pigeons

  •  When I was a child I went to the amusement park with my mother and my cousin Rubén and my aunt. I also had my first dog called "Chico". (Alba)
  • When I was a child my sister and I chatted all night without our parents' permission. We laughed a lot. (Almudena)
  • When I was a child I went to see my grandparents every Sunday and I also ate a lot of sweets.(Elisa)
  • When I was a child I had very good moments with my mum and my sister every Sunday. We laughed a lot and really had a very good time together. (Patricia)
  • In my childhood I loved going to the park and play with my friends and always wanted to buy a lot of sweets. (Yolanda) 
  • When I was a child me and my mum dressed up as a queen and princess and together we saw the film "Lion King".We also ate a lot of sweets and we were really happy. (Gema)
  • When I was a child I remember that I didn't like school because my class mates weren't nice to me. I remember that I loved music and listened to all different  styles. I didn't have many friends but it wasn't so sad because my sister and I did a lot of things together. (Jaime)
  • When I was a child I was very happy. My mum ran after me and I didn't like skirts. I always preferred jeans. (Irene)
  • When I was a child my body was big but I was innocent and naive. I suffered very much when I saw injustice around me and I couldn't help feeling miserable and small. I wished I would grow up so I would be in control of my life. (Nina)
  • When I was a child I lived in Mallorca. I went to the beach every day, every afternoon. My house was near the beach.I liked swimming. I made sand castles. (Esther)    
 
a girl making a sand castle

  •  When I was a child I ate sweets every Sunday and played in the park with my friends. My father recorded these moments with his cam. Inside the sweets shop there was a dog puppy and I played with it all the time.
dog puppies
  •  When I was a child I loved to celebrate my birthday with all my family. It was a double special day because it was my birthday and Christmas Day. Also I went to the cinema with my father on Sunday morning. I remember that one day we watched a film called "Babar". (María Jesús)
Babar the elephant

  • I remember when I was a child and played in the countryside with my friends. We rode our bikes and played near a river where we picked up blackberries and then we made jam. (Marta)
blackberries
  • When I was a child I went to my village and played with the snow and sang Christmas carols with my friends. I also remember a doll I had whose name was Rebeca Pocas Pecas. (Raquel)
Rebeca pocas pecas, Raquel's favourite doll.
  • When I was a child I went to a dance school and also drove my father's lorry. (Eva)
A baby driving a lorry. Will she be Eva?
  •  When I was a child I went  to my grandparents house and there we ate roast chestnuts. I also remember I had a summer love... (Ana)
Roast chestnuts

  • When I was a child I had Drama and Theatre lessons with my friends and then we had breakfast together. I also went to see my cousins who lived near the Art School. (Rosalía)






By the time I was (age) I had already.........
By the time I was (age) I hadn't ............. yet.

1º B


 WHAT I HAD ALREADY DONE.
  • By the time Marta was 19 she had already travelled by Inter-Rail.
  • By the time Gema was 15 she had already been to Rome 
  • By the time Yolanda Navarro was 9 she had already taken music lessons.
  • By the time she was 10 Patricia had already changed school ten times.
  • By the time Jaime was 18 he had already learnt to dance very well.
  • When she was 15 Nina thought she had already met the love of her life.
  • When Ester was 6 she had already travelled by plane.
  • Before she was 6 Yolanda had already used glasses.
  • When Gladys was 4 she had already read her first short story.
  • By the time she was 23 María Jesús had already worked as a teacher.
  • Before 15 Sara had already met her boyfriend.
  • By the time she was 14 Almudena  had already travelled abroad.
  • Before sixteen María had already had a boyfriend.
  • Before 18Raquel had already failed all her English exams.
  • By the time Elisa was 11 she had already read a lot of books.
  • Before Ana was 12 she had already seen the sea.
  • By the time Alba was 18 she had already been to London.
  • Before Bárbara was 22 she had  finished her Phonoaudiology studies.
  • By the time Inés was 18 she had already kissed a boy.
  • By the time Nerina was 5 she had already made her first paper ship.
  • Before Paula was 21 she had already learnt a little sign language.
  • Before she was 13 Noelia had already babysat.
  • By the age of 5 Rosalía had already crossed the Atlantic Ocean
  • By the time she was 17 Irene had already won an important prize. 







WHAT I HADN'T DONE YET.
  • When she was 3 Noelia hadn't spoken a word yet.
  • Before she was 22 Paula hadn't found her true love yet.
  • By the time Nerina was 26 she hadn't driven a car yet.
  • Inés hadn't broken a plate yet before she was 10.
  • Before 6 Bárbara hadn't travelled by plane yet.
  • Alba hadn't had a pet yet by the time she was 6.
  • By the time Rosalía was 18 she hadn't got a job yet.
  • Ana hadn't travelled abroad  yet by the time she was 19.
  • Before 16 Elisa hadn't finished Bachillerato yet.
  • By the time Raquel was 21 she hadn't driven a car yet.
  • By the time María was 4 she hadn't had a brother yet.
  • Before 16 Almudena hadn't learnt sign language yet.
  • Before 4 Sara hadn't learnt a word of English yet.
  • María Jesús hadn't worked yet by the time she was 17.
  • Gladys hadn't driven a car yet by the time she was 23.
  • Yolanda Pérez hadn't cooked yet before she was 13.
  • Ester hadn't played the piano yet  by the time she was 20.
  • Nina hadn't had children yet by the time she was 25.
  • By the time Jaime was 17 he hadn't imagined that he would learn sign language.
  • By the time Patricia was 10 she  hadn't learnt a word of English yet.
  • Yolanda hadn't played the flute yet by the time she was 13.
  • Gema hadn't ridden a bicycle yet by the time she was 11.
  • By the time Marta was 13 she hadn't been skiing yet. 
  • By the time she was 12 Irene had not been an actress yet. 












By the time I was (age) I had already.........
By the time I was (age) I hadn't ............. yet. 

1º A


WHAT I HAD ALREADY DONE

  • When Marian was two she had already travelled abroad.
  • By the time Andrea was 21 she had already had her first niece. 
  • Before she was two Soraya had already been to the sea.
  • Before she 21 Jesica had already had a nephew. 
  • When Natalia was 7 she had already had a pet:  a canary
  • Ester had already learnt to ride  a bike by the time she was 6. 
  • By the time Raquel was 17 she had visited Tenerife and its black sand beaches. 
  • At 17 Diana had already fallen deeply in love with a teenager. 
  • By the time Leidy was 25 she had already climbed a mountain. 
  • When Rocío was 25 she had already had her first car. 
  • By the time she was 4 Anaís had already seen the sea. 
  • By the time Paula was 8 she had learnt to ride a bike. 
  • By the time Coral was 19 she had already driven car.
  • At 15 Virginia had already travelled  abroad. 
  • At 18 Vir had already been to Paris. 
  • By the time Laura was 18 she had already been to London 
  • Gerar had already been skiing before he was 10.
  • By the time Pedro was 18 he had already met nice people.
  • Almudena had already started working before she was 16. 
  • Lara had already been bungee-jumping and parachuting before she was 25. 
  • By the time she was 15 Alba had already travelled by plane.
  • By the time she was 16 Soledad had already travelled abroad.  









WHAT I HADN’T DONE YET

  • When Marian was nineteen she had not been a mother yet.
  • By the time Andrea was fifteen she hadn't travelled anywhere yet. 
  • When Soraya was seven she hadn't travelled by plane yet. 
  • When she was17 Jesica hadn't travelled abroad yet. 
  • By the time Natalia was 7 she hadn't learnt to  tie  my shoelaces yet.
  • Before I was 11 Ester hadn't decided what to study yet. 
  • Raquel was 21 and she hadn't eaten tomatoes yet. 
  • At 14 Diana hadn't travelled abroad yet.
  • At 22  Leidy hadn't driven a car yet.
  • By the time she was 24 Rocío hadn't got her driving licence yet. 
  • When she was 5 Anaís hadn't learnt to ride a bike yet. 
  • When she was 17 Paula hadn't flown yet. 
  •  By the time Coral was 20 she hadn't gone skiing yet.
  • By the time Virginia was 18 she hadn't worked yet.
  • By the time Vir was 12 she hadn't been to parties yet. 
  • By the time she was 19 she hadn't worked yet. 
  • By the time he was 12 Gerar hadn't been windsurfing yet. 
  •  At 21 Pedro hadn't learnt to sign yet.
  • By the time she was 5 Almudena hadn't learnt to ride a bike yet. 
  • Lara hadn't worked yet by the time she was 15. 
  • By the time she was 12 Alba hadn't been to Disneyland Paris yet. 
  • By the time she was 10 Soledad hadn't taken music lessons.









1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuQ2fbTPR2A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwsxQw6ug90

    Videos de 1ºB

    ReplyDelete