Páginas

FILM SHOTS

 Listen and watch these film shots related to "food moments".
Do the activities. Remember that listening practice will do you good and help you improve your English! 


Listen and fill in the blanks


RATATUILLE








SKINNER
Ratatouille. They must be joking!
No... no, it can’t be...
SKINNER
Who cooked the ratatouille?! I demand to know!
EGO
I can’t (1) remember the last time I asked a waiter to give my compliments to the Chef. And now I find myself in the extraordinary position of having my waiter be the Chef...
LINGUINI
Thanks but I’m just your waiter (2) tonight
EGO
Then who do I thank for the meal?
LINGUINI
Excuse me a minute.
EGO
Ah, you must be the Chef
COLETTE
If you wish to meet the Chef you will have to wait until all the other (3) customers have gone.
EGO
So be it.
VOICE
At first Ego thinks it is a joke but as Linguini explains Ego’s smile disappears. He doesn’t react beyond asking an occasional question and when the story is done Ego (4)stands,  (5) thanks us for the meal and(6) leaves without another word. The following day his review appears.
EGO
In many ways the work of a critic is (7) easy We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgement. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to (8) write  and to (9) read . But, the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things... the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something... and that is in the discovery and defence of the new. The (10)  world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs (11) friends. Last night I experienced something new, an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions about fine (12) cooking is a gross understatement—they have rocked me to my core. In the past I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau’s famous motto: “(13) Anyone  (14) can  (15) cook". But I realize only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau’s, who is, in this critic’s opinion, nothing less than the finest Chef in France. I will be returning to Gusteau’s soon, (16) hungry for more.


WHEN HARRY MET SALLY







Sally: So what do you do with these women, you just (1) get up out of bed and leave?

Harry: Sure.

Sally: Well explain to me how you do it.  What do you say?

Harry: You say you have an early meeting, early haircut or a squash game.

Sally: You don't (2) play squash.

Harry: They don't know that they just met me.

Sally: That's disgusting.

Harry: I know, I feel terrible.

Sally: You know I'm so glad I never got involved with you.  I just would've ended up being some woman you had to get up out of bed and leave at three o'clock in the morning and clean your andirons, and you don't even have a fireplace.  Not that I would 've noticed.

Harry: Why are you getting so (3) upset ?  This is not about you.

Sally: Yes it is.  You are a human affront to all (4) women and I am a woman.

Harry: Hey I don't feel great about this but I don't hear anyone complaining.

Sally: Of course not. You're out of the door too (5) fast

Harry: I think they have an OK time.

Sally: How do you know?

Harry: What do you mean how do I know?  I know.

Sally: Because they...

Harry: Yes, because they...

Sally: And how do you know that they really...

Harry: What are you (6) saying, that they fake orgasm?

Sally: It's possible.

Harry: Get out of a here!

Sally: Why?  Most women at one time or another have faked it.

Harry: Well they haven't faked it with me.

Sally: How do you know?

Harry: Because I know.

Sally: Oh, right, that's right, I (7) forgot, you're a man.

Harry: What is that supposed to mean?

Sally: Nothing.  It's just that all men are sure it never happened to them and
that most women at one time or another have done it so you do the math.

Harry: You don't think that I could tell the (8)difference?

Sally: No.

Harry: Get out of here.

Harry: Are you OK?

 Lady from another table: I'll (9) have  (10) what (11) she's (12) having.


YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

 




Harold: A visitor is all I ask. A temporary companion to help me pass a few short hours in my (1) lonely life. Thank you, Lord! Thank you!  No, no, no, don’t (2) speak! Don’t say a word! Oh, my joy and my prize from heaven. I’ll bet you were the tallest one in your class! My name is Harold and I live here all alone. What is your name? I didn’t get that…. Oh! (3) forgive me! I didn’t realize you were mute. You see how heaven plans. Me a poor blind man and you a mute...an incredibly (4) big mute. But your hand is (5) frozen, my child. How does a nice (6) bowl of soup (THREE WORDS)  sound to you? Yes, well….I know what it means to be cold and (7) hungry, yes, and…and how much it means to have a little kindness from a stranger. Are you ready for your soup? Hold out your bowl, then. Oh, my friend, my friend, you don’t know what your visit means to me. (8) How long (TWO WORDS) I’ve waited for the pleasure of another human being. Sometimes in our contemplation of worldly matters we tend to forget the simple pleasures are the basis for true happiness. Yes yes yes! Oh! And now, a little (9) wine. with your soup?  Yes, yes, good, good. Wait a toast! A toast! To long (10) friendship  How (11) hungry you must have been! And now, now for a little (12) surprise For a special occasion, I’ve been saving...cigars. Take one. No, no! Fire is good! Fire is good, yes! Fire is our friend! Yes, I’ll show you. I’ll show you. You see? You see? Do you have your cigar? Let me see. Let me see. All right. Now,now. Just hold it right there. Now. Don’t inhale until the tip glows. Wait! Wait! (13) Where are you going? (4 WORDS) I was going to make espresso!


No comments:

Post a Comment